Check out our teams’ favourite quotes about surfing and find a little inspiration amongst these famous utterances.
As owners of a surf house in Hossegor, we’re privy to a lot of conversations between surfers.
Most of the time these chats are focused on the usual surfing-related topics: the weather, the swell forecast, where to get the best post-surf feed in town (it’s here BTW).
But we’ve also heard some things come out of the mouths of surfers that make us stop what we’re doing and shake our heads in dismay.
Where did it all go so wrong!
The good news though is that surfers are also responsible for uttering some of the funniest and most honest phrases known to mankind.
So with this in mind, the team here at Southwest Surf House thought we’d put a collection of our favourites sayings together for your reading pleasure.
Sit back, strap yourself in and get ready to hang your head in shame/chuckle with pride at the following 14 classic quotes.
1) "If in doubt, paddle out"
Nat Young summing up his approach to surfing and life in one simple sentence.
2) “No problem is so big or so complicated that it can’t be run away from”
A quote from Malibu Legend Miki Dora that we’d love to see more on the feeds of Instagram influencers.
3) “Waves are not measured in feet and inches… they are measured in increments of fear”
We can only imagine some poor soul casually asking old-school charger and North Shore hard nut Buzzy Trent how big the waves look, with Buzzy then responding by looking them dead in the eyes and muttering these foreboding words.
4) "Surfing is attitude dancing”
Mr Pipeline himself, Gerry Lopez, imparting a bit of wisdom on the unwashed masses.
5) "I am not famous. I am a worker”
It’s hard not to love Adriano de Souza, Brazil’s working-class hero and the world’s favourite pooman.
6) “I could not help concluding this man had the most supreme pleasure while he was driven so fast and so smoothly by the sea”
Ok, so this quote was actually made by Captain James Cook about surfers, but since he was the first haole to experience Hawaiian localism at its genesis (see: stabbed and eaten), we’re going to let it slide.
7) "The three most important things in life: surf, surf, surf"
Hey, Jack O'Neill, you forgot the fourth one… surf!
8) "If there was no such thing as barrels I probably wouldn't even surf"
The world wouldn’t feel so bright if we never got to witness the low-key phenomenon that is Clay Marzo. Clay, if you’re listening, you’re welcome to stay at our surf house in Hossegor any time.
9) "Never drive away from good surf"
Words to live by courtesy of the greatly respected British surf photographer, film maker and magazine editor, Roger Sharp.
10) "First of all, I'd like to say, and the ASP are going to fine me, 'cuz I don't want to be a part of this dumb f****** wannabe tennis tour. All these pro surfers want to be tennis players”
The post-heat interview heard around the world. Bobby Martinez blows up after falling short at a contest in New York, then tells the judges, the competitors and pretty much the entire world how he really feels. Gotta respect a man who says what’s on his mind.
11) “I surf because... Kelly Slater did it, for chicks, for the cool cars, for the hype… but it all became just stuff”
Andy Irons bares his soul and puts his motivations behind picking up a surfboard in perspective.
12) "My passion for surfing was more than my fear of sharks”
If you thought Bethany Hamilton was an inspiration before this quote, then you’re going to think she’s a real-life saltwater messiah now.
13) "Foam is your friend. Don't be scared of it. A little bit of extra foam here and there is good for the soul, and your surfing"
See? Learning to surf on a longboard isn’t embarrassing… It’s super cool! Just ask fuzzy haired shredder and all-around good guy, Rob Machado.
14) "I caught my first tube today... Sir."
Hollywood has never nailed the true essence of surfing, which is a blessing in our opinion, because if it did, we’d never have awesome quotes like this one from Point Break star, Johnny Utah.
Book a stay at our surf house in Hossegor today for epic waves, unbelievable food and legendary hospitality in south west France.